Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Spiritual Compass

Easily one of my favorite book series ever. What truly makes me love this series is the character progression and the really fascinating world that Phillip Pullman creates. At first I found Lyra to be a bit annoying, not really helped by her voice actress in the BBC production. But after reaching the second book she started to become an interesting character, independent and strong. While Will is still one of my favorite characters in literature, his personality and weapon just make him so amazing.
The underlying symbology is not really underlying, its fairly obvious to see. A story about kids becoming teenagers, discovering sexuality, and butting heads with the adults in their life. The biggest point of contention with people who don't like the book is its anti-religious tone. However I always saw this book not as anti-god, but as anti-organized religion. In the final book god is portrayed as a weak and frail figure, kept alive only as long as he stays inside his glass coffin. Lyra even feels pity for the angel when he dies. The real bad people are the church and the general oblation board, they pull the strings and act as the antagonists.
Either way the story of the Golden Compass is extremely enjoyable and I'm sure that it will continue to be my favorite book long into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment