Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Lilith's Brood

An interesting book, one I don't have a whole lot of thoughts about except for the sort of major overarching theme.

The one of what is alien and what is normal? When do these two become intertwined or inverted? An question that's fairly prevalent in the United States being such a country with so many cultures fighting to stay independent yet to also fit in so as to form a functioning society. Personally I respect the idea of culture and tradition, but I don't really follow it religiously or focus on it and display it proudly. I've always been confused about people who are so wrapped up in their tradition and heritage, to me it seems like limiting yourself to what people in the past did or practiced, not really evolving with the times. I like my Irish and Mexican heritage but if I were to be a practicing Irish-Catholic just because I was Irish I feel like I would be letting the past define my life.

So I guess in relationship to Lilith's Brood, sign me up for integration into the alien gene pool. Living life without moving with changes or finding your own way just feels like a shallow way to live life.

No comments:

Post a Comment