Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The J-Horror from below

J-Horror and ghost stories have always been interested in me, whether its the ghosts and apparitions in anime, or the more traditional stories like the ones in Kwaidan. The difference between Japanese and American horror are quite different and its really interesting to see the difference especially in the movies that have been taken from Japan and made American. Personally I like the Japanese versions better as I like the more creepy sort of horror rather than the more and more prevalent jump out and scare you horror. Watching Pulse I got a lot of hair raising moments and a general feeling of "oh what the fuck...". Pulse was a fantastic movie that I felt got less good as it went on, but that often happens once movies start to explain themselves. As for the Japanese horror stories, I never really much cared for the actual stories, as a lot of the tradition and that sort of sense is lost on me. But the ghosts and creatures have always interested me. This is what I like the most about these horror stories. With the creatures ranging so greatly over the areas of Japan the number of oddities is quite staggering, with their powers and appearances ranging from rather cute, to bizarre, to terrifying. The selection and imagination in the creation is what interests me the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment