Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Vampyr

One of the most ubiquitous horror creations out there, from The Cont on sesame street, to Count Chocula, to Nosferatu, and Edward Cullen, vampires span the scale in terms of all aspects. I liked the way that Interview with a Vampire portrayed them. Not necessarily bloodthirsty mindless monsters like in I Am Legend, and not pretty sissy boys as in Twilight, but somewhere in between. They care as demonstrated by Louis being distraught over Claudia's death, but can also be angry and mindless as demonstrated by Lestat and the Vampires in England. Vampires always seem to be a tricky thing to get right, at least for me. Stray to far to one side and they become hard to identify with or just seem to be monsters, and stray to far to the other side and you get whatever Twilight is, I don't really know what. However Interview with a Vampire falls nicely in the sweet spot and I can see why it is so highly regarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment