Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Lord of the Rings

These books were my first real exposure to fantasy, my family read the Lord of the Rings to me when I was younger and I have loved the Discworld series ever since my mom suggested I read them. For me I love the sense of adventure and true exploration that the Lord of the Rings books bring. Going to far off lands, fighting monsters, a time that is at once more simple and much more complicated and terrifying. The worlds are lush and vibrant, the characters engaging and unique, and the fights exciting and harrowing. The only thing that can be said against them is their lengthy wordyness, by to me that's hardly an obstacle.
As for the Discworld series I think they are some of the funniest books I have read, from Guards, Guards! to Thud the books never stop making me laugh. The world is just ridiculous and rich, and I love the parody that Terry Pratchet creates. So on one side we have the perfect example of the fantasy adventure exploration novel, and other the other the perfect example of a book making fun of that world, while still being a wonderful read.

No comments:

Post a Comment